Thursday, October 16, 2008

A long goodnight

So yesterday I was planning to finish watching Iryu Team Medical Dragon 2. On Tuesday I had watched like seven episodes (oh, the week after exams is sweet), and I only had three episodes left. However, after barely being able to keep my eyes open after watching one episode, I decided maybe it would be a good idea to take a time out. I have been suffering from chronic sleep deprivation due to studying and procrastinating (often more of the latter than the former, sadly). The Thanksgiving long weekend didn't really help, since I forsook sleep in order to spend as much time with my siblings as possible (Youngest Child Syndrome - I hate missing out on anything).

In an attempt to pay down some of my sleep debt, I decided to take a nap. So somewhere around seven o'clock, I turned out the lights, pulled up the covers, and went to sleep. Usually when I nap, I wake up after an hour or two, but in this case I didn't wake up until the phone rang at about eleven o'clock. It was Evey calling to figure out what had happened to me, but being greeted by my groggy "I just woke up voice" she generously let me go back to sleep. After some intense dreaming I woke up again to a pounding at the door. "I think you better get up now," called my Mom's voice. "Is it morning already?" I asked groggily. "Yes, it's 6:20." Holy crap! 6:20 AM is about 10 minutes later than I usually wake up for school.

An unfortunate consequence of living so far away from school and having 8 AM class every day is that it's still dark when I wake up in the morning. As things went, it really didn't feel like I had been sleeping for that long - but I had managed to sleep all the way through the night. I guess I was paying back sleep debt with interest.


Team Medical Dragon 2

When I got home today, I did finish the last two episodes of Iryu Team Medical Dragon 2. I have to admit, I love Japanese drama, although I've only watched two of them in my entire life. They have this hyper-dramatized style to them, that is completely unrealistic, but entirely compelling. I don't however, love Japanese hero archetypes who are usually either a quiet, emotionally challenged tough guy or a loud, undeservedly cocky jerk (the former rather than the latter in this case).

Iryu Team Medical Dragon
essentially follows the exploits of Asada Ryutaro, an exceptionally gifted surgeon, as he gathers to world's most incredible surgical team and skirts around hospital politics. For some reason, all the most amazing medical staff work at the fictional Meishin University Hospital, but generally have significant personal demons that Asada must help them overcome before they will lend him their talents.

While the show was very entertaining, I did take exception to the accuracy of what was going on around. Of course in this kind of hyper-dramatized, emotion-driven environment, I'm sure medical accuracy was not their primary concern. I didn't actually have the medical expertise to critically evaluate the procedures that they were doing, though I did note numerous anatomical inaccuracies, which admittedly could have been due to the translators' lack of knowledge.

The show did raise a lot of questions for me... for instance, is it really possible to perform concurrent lung and liver transplants on a nine-year old child with a piggy-back procedure that leaves two hearts in the chest cavity? Probably not. As for liver transplants, television shows tend to make it sound like the donor is living with one half a liver for the rest of their life (and hence that part of the liver has to work a lot harder). However, the liver is actually one of the few organs in your body that will rapidly grow back, thus restoring normal function. My sister pointed this out a few years ago when I was watching a particularly dramatic Chinese movie on Hong Kong television with her. One more thing that I really took issue with when watching the show was how Asada always promised his patients that he would "cure them for sure." Of course, he never ever failed because he was super doctor... but in real life, making those kinds of claims is rather dangerous and can provide an unjustified sense of security, which can backfire all the worse if patient's medical condition goes downhill.

I did love watching the show though, and all the characters did manage to come off as really cool. There were lots of group shots with doctors walking in slow motion down the hall to dramatic music with their white coats flapping in the air like some kind of caped superhero. The show was all about the character drama (sensationalized, unrealistic, captivating drama). I can't wait for Season 3!


A new Uchida Yuki fan is born

After watching Season 2, one last thing I have to add is that while I often find Japanese stars to be cool and stylish, I seldom find them to be particularly attractive. However Season 2's Uchida Yuki playing the role of Kataoka Kazumi is undeniably gorgeous. That's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

faithful follower said...

yah man, all the glamor in medicine.... 5C for why to become doctor: cash, cars, condos, chicks.. and chicks