Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oh, Canada... What have you done?

Thank goodness for Toronto is all I can say. Across Canada, citizens of this fair nation have imbued Stephen Harper with a stronger minority government than he previously had, up to a projected 140+ seats from 124. The Liberals down to an astounding 70+ seats from 103.

But at least Toronto stayed red, which made me proud to be part of this progressive, urban landscape. As expected, two ridings went to the NDP (Jack Layton's and Olivia Chow's - did you know I met her on the street the other day?)... but the big shocker was that my riding of Thornhill went blue. Thornhill, which has been red since its inception and has elected Susan Kadis twice consecutively went to newcomer Peter Kent by heaven-knows-what failure of judgement by the rich families in my area. My riding is this blue tumour in a sea of red Toronto, and I am so ashamed right now.

Alberta gave all its seats up to the Conservatives, at this moment having surrendered 27 of 28, which makes me wonder in my frustration why we even pretend to be a giant confederation of provinces when the East/West divide is so jarring. The Atlantic, particularly Newfoundland, did a great job of electing Liberals, but account for fairly few seats altogether.

I wish I knew what else to say, but I don't. I'm just disgusted... pulling my hair out, wretching... disgusted. We've elected (again) a giant liar and control-freak with a policy of confrontation, bullying, reduction of government, and tax cuts and snubbed an honest (though not charismatic) leader with intelligence and vision. And to put the icing on the cake, those guys out in Central Nova put that sleaze Peter McKay back into the House of Commons over Elizabeth May.

I think it is as good a time as any to remind Canada that we have elected another Conservative government with only 37% of the popular vote and denied the Green Party any despite 6% of the popular vote. And with that, I'd like to conclude, democracy fails (and with Stephen Harper in office, possibly will be dead sometime in the future).

Ah Dion, I'm so sorry.

1 comment:

swirls123 said...

I was waiting to read your reaction.

I woke up from a nap at about 10pm and was VERY frustrated when I found out the results. Thornhill was definitely a shocker. Remind me, why did we have this election again? Geez...At least we have another election to look forward to... -_-"