Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What's new, Tuesday?

University feels a little sketchier this week...

My friend, "Yuffie" (after the enthusiastic ninja girl from Final Fantasy VII), formerly referred to just as "T", arrived at school today to find her locker jammed shut. Apparently, over the weekend someone had tried to cut into her locker and failed, leaving both the lock and the locker deformed. Luckily the lockers are sturdy, so nothing got stolen.

She had to skip one of our classes in order to report the incident to police and to accompany the maintenance people as they attempted to repair her locker so she could get her stuff out. They were still at it when the class finally ended, and the lady who was overseeing the process said that it had been a good test of the security of the lockers in the Medical Sciences Building. Apparently, they have had locker break-ins before and had spent something like thousands and thousands of dollars replacing the lockers to have double steel-plated doors and reinforced locks - hence the culprit wasn't able to crack the locker.

Still, I find it pretty disconcerting that there are people around that are willing to go to all the effort of cutting into lockers for... a handful of textbooks and some roller blades? I'd like to note actually that often when I come back to my locker, the lock is flipped outwards facing perpendicular to my body, whereas whenever I close it I walk away with it flat against the locker (parallel to my body). It makes me a bit nervous that there is someone frequently fiddling with my lock, but I generally give the benefit of the doubt that it is someone just playing with my locker while they wait for an adjacent friend. Who knows though? Could be some nefarious person planning some sketchy heist of... my jacket and a pocket reference book?

[As a sidenote, I am finding it increasingly difficult to think up names for you guys...]


Purple is here to stay


The votes are in on my purple shirt, and a whopping three out of three of you voted that I should keep it. I've taken your advice to heart, so I guess purple is here to stay. What opportunity I should take to actually wear it is a different story.

Now I know for a fact that somewhat more than three people have read my blog since I posted the poll, and I can only say that I hope a greater proportion of Canadians vote in the Federal Election today than the proportion of people who read my blog and voted on my poll. I never expected voter apathy to hit me quite so personally.


AndyLand update

Some of you may have noticed the changes to the website main page. Ever since the site went live, I've been looking for a mini MP3 player to replace the one that I had - the white player was a jarring contrast to the black sidebar and was incapable of looping. I found what I was looking for on a Flash marketplace website and purchased it. However, it turned out it was extremely poorly documented and required a working knowledge of Flash (and the software itself) to customize and edit for my purposes. Luckily my friend was kind enough to help me get everything sorted out smoothly. My many thanks go out to them.

1 comment:

sandlot said...

"Purple is here to stay

The votes are in on my purple shirt, and a whopping three out of three of you voted that I should keep it. I've taken your advice to heart, so I guess purple is here to stay. What opportunity I should take to actually wear it is a different story."

Dude, I could have told you that without the use of a survey. This is why you lose out when I'm not in your life.