Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...


"Yoda," Zo said.
"Yoda?" I replied.
"Hehe... that's my way of saying hello!"
"Like the little green alien from Star Wars?"
"The wise one, yes."
"You can use names as greetings now?"

That was enough to unleash my inner geek. For those who don't know me well enough to realize how uncool I am, let's just set the record straight right now: I love science fiction - Star Wars... Star Trek... Battlestar Galactica... Doctor Who... I can virtually quote the original Star Wars trilogy verbatim, and I go all wobbly at the name Brent Spiner. Yes, I am a geek.

While I was intrigued by this opening, I still wasn't sure if this was more than just a casual dropping of names. I mean... Yoda is pretty famous. I'm pretty sure even Evey remembers who Yoda is, and her interest in science fiction must be at a chilling -1 on a scale from 1 to 10.

"You should be named Yoda instead of Zo on my blog," I prompted.
"LOL! If you call me Yoda, I will call you Chewbacca!"

Two Star Wars character references in one conversation. I was impressed.

"Nah... You can be Yoda. I'll be Darth," I quipped.
"You don't deserve to use the Force like Darth. That's why you're Chewbacca... or you can be my young Padawan!" Zo parried.

Padawan? Now we were citing both the original and prequel trilogies. My geek-o-meter was activating.

"Of course I deserve to use the Force," I countered, "Didn't you see my action figure?"
"No action figure can save you now, my young apprentice. Only the dark side of the Force. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger lead to hate. Hate leads to suffering!"

By this point, I was almost toppling off my chair in laughter. The Star Wars obsessed little boy in me seldom gets this much air time. Still, despite that impressive showing of science fiction dialogue, I opted not to counter-quote. Intense displays of shameless fanboyism are hardly a habit of highly effective people... even though I could barely contain the Star Wars trivia demanding to spill out of my grossly misappropriated memory cells.

"Well if I'm your Padawan, and you're Yoda... that must make me OBI-WAN!" I replied with enthusiasm (Obi-Wan is one of the greatest characters ever, and probably had the only compelling role in the prequel trilogy).
"You are wrong, my young Padawan. You are actually Darth Sidious, for Obi-Wan is actually the Padawan of another Jedi Knight with long hair," she countered defiantly.

Some of you may be getting lost by this point... That is because we had crossed the threshold from the realm of the casual movie-watcher into that of the well-informed fan. I was ecstatic.

"Obi-Wan told Luke to seek out Yoda, the Jedi master that instructed him!"
"Ah, Yoda may have handled Obi-Wan after Qui-Gon died, but he never referred to him as his Padawan. He only referred to Darth Sidious as his Padawan."
Confused, I answered, "Yoda never referred to Darth Sidious as his Padawan... do you mean Count Dooku (Darth Tyrannus)?"
"Sh*t... Count Dooku. You're right. Aww..."
"Haha... still I'm warmed by the little Star Wars geek I've discovered in you."
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
"Whoa... did you copy paste that?"
"Oy... Andy, J-Rock took over the computer and he knows even more quotes."

Well, that rather burst the bubble - this wasn't the geekiness of a single person, but rather the combined efforts of Zo and J-Rock (together with Star Wars quotes looked up on J-Rock's iPod Touch, which while not copy-pasted were most definitely cheated)! I was rather relieved at that point that I hadn't completely let my inner Star Wars geek off its leash.

Still, on Monday (during our post-exam festivities: karaoke & all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue, which is the most unhealthy meal option possible), J-Rock and I had plenty to talk about. Eventually we settled into an argument as to whether Stormtroopers are Clone Troopers. I firmly asserted that they are not... and that this is official Star Wars canon.

J-Rock insisted that the prequel trilogy accounted for the origins of the Stormtroopers and that they were all clones. The canon I was referring to was Expanded Universe, which was no more than fan fiction and therefore invalid. I am adamant that Expanded Universe, being intricately woven together (much better than George Lucas' own disastrous prequels) and officially accepted, are valid canon.

In the end, I think I will have to settle for a compromise as the Expanded Universe folds inward to accept George Lucas' new ideas.

Following the rise of the Empire, the military cloning program expanded to include new clone hosts. By the time of the Empire consolidated its power by dissolving the Senate, the ranks of the Imperial stormtroopers would include cloned infantry from multiple sources as well as birth-born conscripts and recruits from various worlds.

[Source]

For those of you who were simply overdosed with geekiness in this post, you now have my permission to go wash your eyes.

---------------------------------------------


Remembrance Day


I wanted to take a moment to remember the soldiers who have fought and continue to fight in the name of our nation - from the soldiers who repelled the United States in the War of 1812, to the brave soldiers who changed the world through their service in two World Wars, to the men and women of valour who have acted as peacekeepers across the globe, to those risking their lives even today in the battle-hardened landscapes of Afghanistan. When push comes to shove, they stand between us and those who would do us evil. Canada remembers.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Yoda! We have to do a marathon! I was really inspired when J-Rock started talking in StarWars language and you understood and responded. Now I am determined to acquire this language with you and J-Rock over a sleep-over/movie marathon. Set a date!
-Zo

Anonymous said...

ah yes, they fought and died so that we could live... i think its sorta good that remembrance day isn't a holiday like back in the west...