Monday, December 8, 2008

Diversions from your Monday slog

Intellectual conversationalists
Stewie: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Kushima: Oh yeah, I was meaning to ask you--
Stewie: See? The questions I ask are very relevant.
---------------------------------------------

"They've got more stuff..."

Do you remember how Pillsbury Pizza Pops used to run television commercials with the tag-line, "They've got more stuff"? This usually involved the aforementioned snack exploding in a flurry of gooey, cheesy goodness. Well, let's face it. Pizza Pops don't actually have that much packed into them. They don't explode, but rather, sometimes they ooze out a little bit of stuffing from one side after you microwave them. They're tasty and unhealthy, but explosive they are not.

On Saturday, I went to a new Shanghainese restaurant at Commerce Gate and ordered siu long bao. For the uninitiated, these are dumplings filled with pork and a scrumptious quantity of soup. However, on this particular occasion, the dumplings were so stuffed with soup that the minute I sunk my teeth into one... SPLASH! It was mayhem - soup flying across the table and onto my clothes. I took it as a messy but delicious lesson to be more careful when I went for a second bao. See now those guys, "they've got more stuff." And that's no lie.

Incidentally, Siu Long Bao is the anticipated Chinese name for my second-born son. Given my relatively shoddy command of the Cantonese language, I spent many a night lamenting about how I would name my children one day using dialect in which I command such a limited vocabulary. In the end, I decided that I should stick to what I know. Don't worry though, I'm sure it won't take long before he adopts the charmingly cute nickname, "Bao Bao"... And the first-born son? Cha Siu Bao of course!

1 comment:

sandlot said...

I think you should name your son "chau dow fu"