Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ow, my gastrocnemius!

I know what you're thinking - gastrocnemius is so last month...

Today, in light of my father's incessant badgering that I do some exercise and my long day spent studying respirology, I decided to log some time on everyone's favourite freeware DDR clone, StepMania. I mean... maybe it would improve my vital capacity, and I hadn't really done any real exercise since I stopped playing Wii Fit back in October. Plus my chronic sleepiness in spite of many hours of bedrest had left me pondering my unfulfilled need to generate some endorphins (or maybe it's obstructive sleep apnea?).

Of course, I was also interested in recouping my DDR performance before the commencement of MedGames in January. The last time I played DDR was after watching James Bond in November. Stewie and I had decided to try our luck at the theatre arcade, and we failed pretty miserably. I can picture an aging Jedi Master Yoda warning me of my unreadiness - "The cave... remember your failure at the cave..."

I started out today on Standard, and after fumbling through a couple of songs, I felt like a complete rookie again. My calves were crying bloody murder by the third song - by the twentieth they felt like rubber bands ready to snap. I recalled many an undergrad evening trying to keep up with Ruru, my QDDR co-president, and many times my better, as she barelled through Tsugaru on Heavy. Clearly, I've got my work cut out for me.

1 comment:

sandlot said...

Your dad is insisting you get some exercise? I think I can help you with that...