Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fall of the Great Wall

I drew this up during a community health lecture on Wednesday. The lines actually turned out really nice once I scanned them into the computer, so I'm considering splashing on some colour at a later date. The boy turned into a genie because the class was ending, and I ran out of time to draw legs...

ac·ci·dent n.

An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.

The lecture was given by an enthusiastic and passionate physician who gave up 14-years of specialized training in cardiothoracic surgery in order to save the world. Over the course of his epidemiological research, he recognized enormous needs in public education and health promotion - ditching his high powered career to start up a charity geared toward changing people's attitudes toward accident injury prevention. He commented that injury, one of the top causes of morbidity and mortality in modern society, is often overlooked because of the use of the term "accident." The term "accident" promotes an attitude of inevitability, where the reality is that most of these incidents are both predictable and preventable.

The only area where we don't use the word "accident" is with airplanes. You would never say, "Yesterday there was a plane accident. It just fell out of the sky." [laughter] I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's what we do every day with automobiles.

In an uncommon turn of events, Billie sat up in the fourth row with me. Interestingly, her presence acted as a lightning rod for the Great Wall to immediately fill up with strangers, entirely changing the demographic composition of the fourth row in one fell swoop.

Billie is perhaps most notoriously known for a particularly isolating incident whereby the professor put up an overhead reading: "Billie Piper (pseudonym), please come see me after class." He then continued to explain that he had no devious intention, describing one particularly awkward event in the past:

When my daughter started working at the office in the Medical Sciences Building, I dropped by and asked her, "Hello, would you like to go for lunch today?" to which she replied, "Sure, why not." A secretary sidled up to her. "He's married, you know," she warned. My daughter answered, "Well, yes, actually I do know. In fact I know his wife quite well. I call her mom."

Oh, burn. The lesson is: If he looks old enough to be her father... he might very well be. In any case, Mello told me that after said incident, she never forgot Billie's name again.

1 comment:

linda said...

the cartoon on the right looks more cheerful :)