Monday, March 16, 2009

Sunday morning glory

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. Sunny, cloudless skies coupled with fresh, crisp air and temperatures in the range of positive ten degrees Centigrade. I decided to do something nice for my heart (that's the real, beating heart in my chest; not my warm, fuzzy soul-a-mabob) and go for a bicycle ride. So I dusted off the 'ol two wheeler, pumped up the tires, and went for a spin.

As I cycled aimlessly around the side streets in my neighbourhood - some of which I had never bothered to traverse before because they are so securely nestled in an array of poorly planned cul-de-sacs - I realized... I live in suburbia. North of Toronto lies the American dream (in Canada): a house for every family, a car in every driveway, and a chicken in every pot... right? But as I arrived at one street in particular, I was blown away.

Cars. Cars... everywhere. If Al Gore could see this, he'd have a heart attack. Amazed, I rode up and down the street. Two to three cars to a driveway, sometimes spilling over onto the street with adjacent driveways only inches apart from one another (making it look like five cars to a driveway). Two Toyota Matrix (Matrices?) here. A Calibur and a Caravan there. I took an "L" shaped path, counting cars along two sides of a single block. Seventy-five cars. Seventy-five! That's not including the cars hiding in the garages... because everybody had one (a garage, that is).

Now I know that I'm hardly one to talk. My family owns its fair share of vehicles to cart around our (now dispersed) family of six... but seventy-five cars...! That's too much, non?

...

In light of the supremely energizing weather, I decided to change the background music on the main site to something more upbeat and summery. I also wrestled for several hours with the prospect of tweaking the colour scheme to something more upbeat. But to be honest, my command of CSS is limited; and after getting a minor headache, I gave up. If I was going to make such a drastic change, I wanted to facilitate similar changes being less painful in the future, and that was simply not going to be easy.

Perhaps it's time to trade in my Notepad for a web-coding platform that is a little bit more elegant...

2 comments:

Teddy re-energized said...

wow i really like the upbeat background music... i was all tired and sleepy from gym but after having a dose of andyland music, i'm all dancy! cu tonite bro

sandlot said...

Okay, I've been reading people's comments while going through your posts and there's been at least three or four that mention how the background music is quite pleasant. But I DON'T HEAR ANY MUSIC? I don't understand this at all....