Sunday, March 1, 2009

Will doodle for brains



It's so scary how if I just sit here, idly chatting and listening to music, time tick tick ticks on by. Minutes... one by one... ten by ten... until I'm hours, days, weeks behind.

Andy: Anyways, I should go study... I'm at least three hours behind you.

Kushima: Schedule-wise maybe, but you probably learned more from going through it your way.

Questionably true... but if by some peculiarity my learning was more expedient, to what educational quirk do I owe this advantage? My guess? Rampant doodling. Yes, I've called it all along: Doodling F T W.

People might consider doodling a sign of a wandering brain, but new research suggests the scribbles may help us remember details.

Volunteers who were asked to doodle while listening to a dull telephone message were 29 per cent better at remembering details of the call than non-doodlers, British researchers write in Friday's online issue of the journal Applied Cognitive Psychology.

...

"A simple task, like doodling, may be sufficient to stop daydreaming without affecting performance on the main task."

[source]

Of course... that's why I did it all along....

5 comments:

Teddy is bored said...

Nah, you just want to hit on your neighbor. lol

Alexis said...

Oh yes Andy's oh-so-flirty sheep.. You'll notice he never doodles his sheep on guys' paper. =p

a_ndy said...

Oy oy... all this character assassination coming from every side! o_o

Kushima said...

Haha we all know you too well Andrew!

a_ndy said...

Wow, your first comment ever. /clap