Friday, June 26, 2009

The Fresh Prince lives!

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there. I'll tell you how I become the prince of a town called Bel-Air. In west Philadelphia born and raised. On the playground is where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool, And all shootin' some b-ball outside of the school. When a couple of guys they were up to no good, Started makin' trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, And said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, But I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo home to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabby yo holmes smell ya later! Looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
Will Smith's Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was a veritable pop icon, launching the actor's career into high gear and making Will Smith a household name. But that was the 1990's. So imagine my surprise when on my way home on the subway in 2009, on strolled a chap who had clearly taken style tips from one Fresh Prince. He had Will Smith's hip-hop swagger, and he was not shy about it. As he grooved to tunes emanating from his crimson red Nintendo DS, he shuffled his hands and feet in a form of seated dance. In case it's been too long since you last watched an episode of Fresh Prince, and you think that I am exaggerating the correlation, let's perform a style breakdown:


Exhibit A: Like Will's sidekick, Jazz, our subway patron sports a large pair of black plastic-framed glasses. Like Will himself, he sports a little bit of bling.

Exhibit B: Mister subway shares Will's backwards cap style, public use of ear-buds, and shameless public enjoyment of music.

Exhibit C: Like Will, subway guy also believes in the black vest plus t-shirt combo together with tight jeans.

Conclusion? The Fresh Prince lives! And he's right here in Toronto.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

You have waaaaay too much time on your hands. 8D;;;

a_ndy said...

Had that theme song stuck in my head all day...

Jerry said...

haha wow that dude DOES look just like the fresh prince. lol good job on catching a snapshot.

btw I almost didn't want to post...cuz 2 comments seemed like a good EVEN number...especially when your post was what made it EVEN...LOL

a_ndy said...

I was wondering whether anyone was going to comment on my sneaky super-spy subway photo-taking. Usually Kon would be here to leave an inappropriate comment about it.

Oh shiet, now I made it 4!

Jerry said...

AH okay okay...here you go...comment #5 :D

Consider this your Christmas gift. Happy holidays!