Monday, June 29, 2009

Love of the underdog

...even if he's a villain.


So, this weekend I joined up with a new guild on iRO Loki. Boy was that ever the greatest decision ever, because I found the most hilarious thing ever made on the guild forums. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog is a short musical composed by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly) consisting of six webisodes. It follows the faux video blog of one Dr. Horrible (with a PhD in "horrible-ness"), a would-be super villain. The feature gets off to a slow start, but once the singing commences, it consistently crescendos upwards, providing some of the finest raw entertainment I've seen in ages.

Watch it all on YouTube:



In Dr. Horrible, we find a character bent on being evil (like Bad Horse, the thoroughbred of sin!). Yet at the same time, he bears such a benign alter ego. His evil ambitions seem justified against his pretty-boy nemesis, Captain Hammer, the girl-stealing, lady-boning "corporate tool."

He's the likable underdog. The irresistible anti-hero. Like Codename V, except funnier. Did I mention that Neil Patrick Harris is genius? Pure gold.

The question you have to ask is: How can something so wrong feel so right?

This appeared as a moral dilemma
Cause at first it was weird though I swore to eliminate
The worst of the plague that devoured humanity
It’s true I was vague on the ‘How’
so how can it be that you have shown me the light?

It’s a brand new day
And the sun is high
All the birds are singing
That you’re gonna die

How I hesitated
Now I wonder why
It’s a brand new day

All the times that you beat me unconscious I’ll forgive
All the crimes Incomplete, listen honestly I’ll live
Mr. Cool, Mr. Right, Mr. Knowitall is through
Now my future’s so bright and I owe it all to you Who showed me the light

It’s a brand new me
I’ve got no remorse
Now the water’s rising but I know the course
I’m gonna shock the world
Gonna Show Bad Horse
It’s a Brand New Day

And Penny will see the evil me
Not a joke not a dork not a failure
And she may cry but her tears will dry
When I hand her the keys to a shiny new Australia.

I loved this because back in high school when I harboured my own ambitions for world domination (which included being elected, dissolving parliament, overwhelming the world with Gundam soldiers, and throwing all the world's douchebags on Antarctica whilst first removing their jackets and auctioning them off for the profit of the state), I planned on making Australia my shiny new private estate.

"Why Australia?" you might ask. Well, in the game of Risk, my brother once held off my entire army by merely holding Australia. Yes, that tiny continent with its two-extra-armies-per-turn and single choke point flustered my troops for ages. This despite the fact that I was the world's one and only superpower and my influence was so large that I had to dip into two separate player colours to satiate my nation's thirst for armies. So, Australia? Australia is king.

P.S. When I went to work today, I told everybody I could find about Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. 90% of people didn't know who Joss Whedon was, and 75% had never watched any of his shows. This begs the question, "What the heck is wrong with you people?"

3 comments:

shirls said...

Oh Neil Patrick Harris...
I was introduced to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog several months ago and it was just brilliant! Interesting how it ends.

Do you watch "How I Met Your Mother"? If not, you totally should. I think you would thoroughly enjoy it.

Michael said...

Joss Whedon sucks... unless you're pre-pubescent girl.

*BURN SIZZLE BURN* =D

Lol jk, but he does suck pretty bad. I used to like Buffy too, then it just got horrendously bad and I stopped watching. Then I heard Buffy died and yet the show continued (wtf??) and then heard she was ~REINCARNATED~ or some shit (WTFF?!?!), so yea, total shark-jumping FTL.

sandlot said...

Re Michael's opinion on Joss Whedon and Buffy (although, he'll probably never read this):

OMGWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!! @#s$$^$%#@#$@#$@#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!