Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Welcome to the Resort

Yesterday I had one of my friends from undergrad over to my place. In order to provide us both with a fresh gaming experience, I picked up Nintendo's much anticipated Wii Sports Resort on the way home.

Wii Sports Resort is the sequel to the Wii's simple yet beloved debut game, Wii Sports. Its purpose is to showcase Nintendo's new Wii Motion Plus technology. I was an early adopter of this technology, realizing that good or bad, it would be necessary for all future Wii titles. However, if you read my scathing Wii Motion Plus review, you already know that my opinion had been tilted significantly towards the "bad" side.

Yet after spending an evening with Wii Sports Resort, I've changed my tune. Clearly, the flaw in the equation was not Wii Motion Plus, but EA and Sega. Count me among the converted - I am a believer. Wii Sports Resort may be the most entertaining party game since Rock Band.

Promises of one-to-one fidelity of motion and control finally come to life with Wii Sports Resort, particularly demonstrated by the game's digital table tennis and sword fighting. With table tennis, I really felt the intimate movement of my paddle with each sleight of hand, reaching the pinnacle of control that Grand Slam Tennis had promised but utterly failed to deliver.

Archery and frisbee also provided incredibly natural-feeling, easy to grasp, and innovative control schemes. Even games with less realistic controls such as basketball, aerial combat, and water sports felt satisfying to play with the new device. Throw in slightly improved versions of Wii Golf and Wii Bowling, and you're left with one jam packed disc.

If I had one complaint, it would be that controllers with the new Wii Motion Plus add-on require calibration more frequently than should be necessary, but given the revolution in gameplay that it provides, it's a minor annoyance.

Wii Sports Resort fulfills all the promises that I originally expected Wii Motion Plus to meet and has restored my faith in Nintendo. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the sword-fighting arena...

2 comments:

shirls said...

Oooh!!! Let's play!

Joyce said...

Aggggh i so want to play!

i'm not sure if i'll buy it, though. i won't have the Wii once school starts. :\