Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Your blog has you whipped when...

Dear Chronicle,

I'm sorry I haven't written much lately. I know that I said I would try to write everyday, and I have so much to tell you! But dammit, work has been really crazy this week. With school (ugh...) starting next week, it's down to the wire to finish things up at HUMP. I've been pulling late nights, and when I get home with bloodshot eyes... Well, franky, I don't have time for you. I know this is heartbreaking, but hang on there. I'll be back soon.

Faithfully,
Andy

Speaking of HUMP... All of the image analysis software that I use runs off a server called Flux. All of the data that I use is stored in a mythical location called "Data4." Virtually everyone in the lab depends on the processing power of Flux and the storage capacity of Data4, so in my head I pictured a big server room with beastly mainframes. However, this could not be farther from the truth. Tucked away in a little corner with our local laser printer are a set of innocuous looking computers. One of these mundane creatures is Flux, the legendary computer whose name we all see flashing on our Linux command prompts. Data4? It's the first removable hard drive with a pink sticky. Sweet.

1 comment:

Riona55 said...

your letter to your chronicle sounds awefully familiar...reminiscent of what I used to write to my xanga!