Friday, October 30, 2009

Don't be a dick

Today, we were graced with one final lecture by our favourite politically incorrect prof. The lecture was on diseases in the returning traveller, and essentially outlined the four most common causes of fever with which out-of-country tourists return: malaria, dengue, typhoid, and tick typhus. Tick typhus is an illness caused by the bacteria Rickettsia, and leads to black necrotic lesions with an erythematous (red) margin. Our professor shared this anecdote:

One time, I received a call from a physician out in the community. She wanted to consult about a patient that had recently been travelling out of the country. He had a black necrotic lesion with an erythematous margin on his penis.

I said, "Oh, I know what this is! He has dick typhus!" The doctor on the other side was completely unamused. I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever said - no, it is the funniest thing I've ever said.

I think my prof should be on one of those Becel commercials for the immature young at heart.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Hahahahaha!!! That's too bad, it was wasted on your prof. D:

a_ndy said...

I think maybe you mean the prof's joke was wasted on the unamused community doc?

Joyce said...

Oh noes! i misread. And here i was giving you credit for that pun. :P