Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This lecture is tragic

According to our latest PBD professor, Cold-FX (active ingredient: American Ginseng) works. It works by upregulating the activity of Natural Killer cells (peer reviewed literature?). Cold-FX is one of those products that my mom tells me to take when I'm sick, and I do because... well, it's Ginseng, so what harm could it do? It's one of those products that my fourth-year pharmacology prof unreservedly ridiculed and my infectious diseases seminar leader (the one who actually deals with viruses) just today said "does not work."

The same professor who told us that Cold-FX works also professed to us the physiological benefit of fever in controlling disease and upregulating the immune system (True). She then went on to espouse her aunt's wacky cure for illness: firing a hair dryer at the back of her throat through an open mouth. What... the... fudge?! I'm pretty sure your body will not confuse the heat of a hair dryer for fever, and you're more than likely to dry out your mucous membranes - you know, the anatomical barrier that serves as the first line of defense for the innate immune system?

Andy: What kind of doctor is she again?

Stewie: Rheumatologist.

3 comments:

Kushima said...

lol you can also tell how much immunology she knows by her quiz questions, and how she's confused over them herself.

a_ndy said...

I don't think her immunology background is weak, but she does have some sketchy ideas. But yeah, using multiple choice questions that you didn't come up with yourself is always a bit chancy.

Jerry said...

I don't think she meant that you should fire the hair dryer down your throat. I think she meant that you fire the hairdryer at your neck, to warm up the area.

lol there's no way that anybody could survive having hot hair blown into the back of your neck, it'd dry up and cause you to cough like a mama!