Tuesday, December 1, 2009

No school is an nation

Sitting in our ivory towers, we assuredly pat ourselves on the back in confidence that our institutions of learning, which have endured over a hundred years, will be forever respected - that when we invoke alumnus status at Toronto, Queen's, Western, McGill, UBC, and the like, we can be proud.

While I've done my fair share of scholastic-bashing this weekend, it doesn't come anywhere close to the anguish that I found Stewie in on Sunday evening. He'd been following UBC politics all day as the student government sought to impeach their President and Vice President (External Affairs) over a cockamamie scheme that he was worried would tarnish the authority of the student body and the reputation of his alma mater irrevocably.

The gist of the story is this: the President and Vice President (External Affairs) took it upon themselves to draft and submit a formal human rights complaint to the United freaking Nations over rising tuition fees. Forget Darfur, there's a human rights crisis right here in Canada, and we're not talking about Afghan prison transfers. What's worse is that they took this action without properly consulting the rest of the student council. Their fellow councillors only discovered the UN petition when a press release came out, affirming the complaint as an official student government position (thus implying their own complicity).

Stewie was up in arms:

Stewie: In other words, not only did they do something stupid (file a UN complaint), they purposely did it behind the backs of the execs.

Stewie: And Tim went on record as saying they did it that way because they were worried if they went through council it would be rejected.

Stewie: WELL GEE MOTHERFUCKER, MAYBE THATS WHAT COUNCIL IS FOR. TO REJECT FUCKED UP PIECES OF SHIT IDEAS LIKE YOURS.

Andy: You're pretty excited about this, eh? I guess that's sort of a big deal, though.

Andy: That sucks... but at least you don't go to UBC anymore?

Stewie: Yeah, but I really look forward to the day when I say, "Yea I attended UBC," and have people say, "Oh, aren't you guys the ones who complained to the UN about tuition fees?"

Don't worry too much, Stewie. Nobody takes the UN seriously anyways.

Stewie: Oh and it's on Fail Blog...

2 comments:

Michael said...

Quote from Blake (AMS President) right after he won his Presidency:

"“I have to say, I am a bit shocked, because I thought it was going to be a good margin of victory on my side. I’m happy that I won, but at the same time, only 12 per cent of people voted, and out of the peopl...e that voted, probably only about half of them voted for me, so i see that as a win, but that doesn’t give me a mandate to do whatever it is that I had planned to do. So that means that whenever I make a decision, I’m going to have to consult with students on what it is that I’m doing.”"

...

"SO THAT MEANS WHENEVER I MAKE A DECISION, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CONSULT WITH STUDENTS ON WHAT IT IS THAT I'M DOING."

Also, this is probably how Blake imagined the complaint would have gone

Kushima said...

hahaha this is hilarious