Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Smaller than I thought

That's what she said...

So my height has been a matter of some debate this year. Until now, I was more than happy to tell people that I clocked in at a respectable 5'10". This in itself was based on an estimation of an estimation. A couple of years ago, my family compared me to my brother. Even after years of playing catch-up, my adult growth peaked out about an inch shorter than him. He's about 5'11", which made me about 5'10".

Then came the doubt. A particular friend of a friend of mine measured up at about 5'3". Because of his self-consciousness, he had become quite adept at gauging height, and upon meeting me he confided in my friend that there was "no way" I was 5'10".

Today, on my way home, I stopped off at my Dad's office to put these myths to rest. Much to my chagrin, I measured up at a paltry 175 cm (or just about)... equivalent to... yes, 5'9". After years of telling people (and myself) that I was 5'10", this was of course, devastating news. I'm sure it will be equally devastating for Sandlot, who has spent an equivalent number of years telling people that she's 5'9".

Kushima: See, everyone overestimates.

I shared this revelation with Kushima, who reassuringly reminded me that I ought to measure my height in the morning rather than in the evening as I'm liable to be slightly taller.

Andy: That's a good point, but I doubt it's a whole inch.

Kushima: Probably not, but if it's half an inch off, you can round it up.

Or maybe it's time to think about shoe lifts...

5 comments:

shirls said...

Oh, come on. 5'9" is respectable. You're still taller than me by 2 inches and that should be enough XD.

Random goodness: My word verification is "hoysom", which is 'happy' in Cantonese. Cool, eh :D

Teddy said...

maybe u shrunk, like you know osteoporosis in the spine causing vertical compression..

but u know i'm like 169cm-170cm when i stand up straight... and u're so much talling than me... i dont see why its just a 5 cm difference....

Jerry said...

I knew you were not 5"10' this WHOLE time lol and I am glad you got sense smacked back into you

hahahhaha

sandlot said...

To me you will always be 5'10. Even if that means you're going to have shoe lifts permanently affixed to your feet.

a_ndy said...

...or at least winter boots.