Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Commuter's Paradise


To the tune of the Beatle's Elanor Rigby:

Ah, look at all the transit people
Ah, look at all the transit people

Adam Giambrone picks up to the race for the mayor of a city so big
Lives in a dream
Waits for the metro, wearing a face like the frat boy he is to his core
Who is it for?

All the transit people
Commuting everyday
All the transit people
They're always in my way

Daily commuters writing the words of objection that no one will hear
No one comes near
Look at them pushing, shoving to get on the train that will never be there
What does he care?

All the transit people
Commuting everyday
All the transit people
They're always in my way

Ah, look at all the transit people
Ah, look at all the transit people

Guy with his iPod blasting so loud I can hear it, it's always the same
He has no shame
Shut down the system, jumping to the platform at rush hour to get to the grave
No one was saved

All the transit people
Commuting everyday
All the transit people
They're always in my way
...

This morning proved another arduous commute. Traffic started out particularly bad, and I was a bit worried I might end up a couple of minutes late for class ("Where did all these people come from, and why do they move so slow?" I lamented to myself). It became a moot point though, as the entire subway system lurched to a crawl due to some unspecified disturbance at Davisville. My subway car delivered me at a snail's pace to my destination - half an hour late for class (taking twice the duration it should have).

I found the back door to the classroom shut tightly, and not being too keen on walking in 30-40 minutes late through the front of the classroom, I decided to kick back for half an hour at the local Starbucks. Sipping on my Chai latte and nibbling at a chocolate chip cookie, I pondered just how shoddy the TTC really is.

It's come to the point where I think that the TTC is delayed almost as often as it is on time. Such unreliable service is really unacceptable, although I've been told that transit can be similarly unpredictable in other cities. The TTC has taken a lot of flak in recent weeks with their unpopular fare increase, sleeping fare collectors, and frequent delays. Adam Giambrone, TTC chair and potential mayoral candidate for the city of Toronto, has publicly apologized for the TTC's public relations fiasco.

Better communication and public relations, they say, are what the TTC needs. After all, the TTC is run mostly by engineers and sometimes they forget to be cordial to their patrons. Well, congeniality is all well and good, and I agree that it's proper to keep us informed of delays. But that's not going to spare you my wrath when the TTC is delayed every freaking day.

To add some emphasis to the point, after my dreadfully delayed morning commute, I took the subway back home after lunch - skipping my afternoon seminar in the hopes of getting some extra studying done. My train went out of service and kicked me off at Sheppard station. My commute disrupted twice in one day? TTC fail. If the TTC is run by engineers, then shouldn't it at least run smoothly?

TTC: "Sorry our reliability is tragic, but at least we let you know."

Andy: "F*ck off, Giambrone."

2 comments:

Teddy said...

I can empathize with you so well, although I'm not a regular long-distance commuter. The one rare occasion I had to TTC far, I was trapped in a packed subway where I could feel people's breath on my face and smell their arm pits from the long day of work. If TTC is not the worst subway system, it probably is one of.

It's broken and it needs fixing. I can't believe they still need conductors at every other segment to check the doors. That's just pathetic and a waste of resources. The whole TTC is so backwards. TTC should look to the East and by that I mean Asian countries like Japan, Hong Kong, etc. In HK, the subway systems is fast, efficient, rarely breaks down, clean (TTC is like a fawking ghetto), on time, automated (wtf with tokens and the lack of just before they raised the fare). AND, they actually make money.

Epic fail for TTC.

sandlot said...

MTR FTW.