Sunday, July 18, 2010

I write like JB

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Today's Toronto Star introduced a website entitled "I Write Like." The site analyzes any text that you put into it and uses keywords to map your writing style to that of a famous author. Based on my latest entry, I write like David Foster Wallace, some American author who wrote a whole bunch of things that I've never read.

My girlfriend, Sandlot, apparently also writes like David Foster Wallace, "full of irony and self-created acronyms and abbreviations and long-winded sentences." I guess that's what makes us such a power couple. Birds of a feather, right?

Well, we do have similar writing styles... sort of.

Or maybe he's a default.

What's more disconcerting is that Justin Bieber's hit song Baby also channels David Foster Wallace (I'm sure that would be disconcerting for the late Mr. Wallace as well). While I'm sure JB doesn't write his own material, being associated with a prepubescent pop star doesn't sit well with me... although, this would explain why I like that song so much.

Luckily my Bieber association doesn't have to stick. The site admits limited accuracy with only 50 or so authors to compare with and no measure for the degree of correlation. Site founder Dmitry Chestnykh confesses:

I think that people really like to know how they write, even if it's not accurate results.

I think a statement like that makes us all suckers for trying this site.



Addendum: Apparently, the above entry reads like Dan Brown.

Addendum2: Tally of ten most recent Chronicle entries:
  • Cory Doctorow - 5
  • David Foster Wallace - 2
  • Dan Brown - 1
  • Vladimir Nobokov - 1
  • Stephen King - 1

2 comments:

sandlot said...

Maybe David Foster Wallace wrote Baby, post-humous.

Catalogue of Queens said...

LOL, I got H.P. Lovecraft.