Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cooking with the Force

Some time ago, I blogged about my being potentially model boyfriend material. Unfortunately, these boyfriendly skills did not include meal preparation. Sandlot, as a caring girlfriend, sought to rectify this and bought me for my birthday this wonderful Star Wars Cookbook. This is, for all intents and purposes, a children's cookbook. One can only imagine that Sandlot thought this would be a good way to get me to cook for her place to start my cooking education.

Last month, I visited Sandlot in her current university town for a week. I decided to put my newly minted Force powers to work and spend the week cooking edible (hopefully) meal-things for her. It was, for the most part, a great success; though I am not a Jedi yet. Behold, the fruits of my labours:

As hot as the twin suns of Tatooine, the planet where Luke Skywalker grew up, Twin Sun Toast involved two eggs dropped into holes in a slice of bread and then fried. It was the first item I tried from the book, kicking things off with breakfast. I think maybe the bread slice needed to be wider and the holes bigger because the eggs wouldn't fry all the way through without flipping. As such, the fried eggs ended up looking mangled rather than two nice suns.

Greedo burritos, named after the bounty hunter slagged by Han Solo at the Mos Eisley Cantina in A New Hope, called for black beans. We decided to omit these from our own burrito creations. Okay, so these soft tacos are actually Ol Del Paso fare and don't follow the recipe at all. Sue me.

Oola-la french toast, named after Jabba's head-tail adorned slave girl (who met an untimely end at the hands of his Rancor), called for a single egg and a variety of spices. While it may not look like much, it was damn tasty. So tasty in fact, that I made it twice that week and Sandlot later asked me for the recipe so she could recreate them herself.

Boba Fett-uccine, named after my favourite bounty hunter (who George Lucas made into a whiny little boy in his prequel films), was a vegetarian pasta. I could believe that the galaxy's finest headhunter would be eponymous with a food lacking meat, but the pasta actually turned out incredibly tasty. While I snub my nose at vegans and such, this fettuccine was surprisingly flavourful, owing in no small part to how great the broccoli was. However, I made way too much.

Wookie cookies, named after the race of hairy creatures from which Chewbacca hails, were basically just chocolate chip. However, owing perhaps to the cinnamon called for in the recipe, they had a very distinct flavour and were actually quite enjoyable. Sandlot played around with the recipe by introducing blueberries into a select few of the cookies. Most people avoided those.

Finally, this omelette was my own creation. Yes, padawans, it wasn't in the Star Wars cookbook. Four years of eating at the Queen's cafeteria taught me a thing or two about great omelettes, and I guarantee you these suckers were superb. I might have overdone it at three eggs apiece though. The whole week probably provided enough eggs (and cholesterol) for a month. I'll have to be a little wiser about what I cook next time.

Still, overall my first week of cookery was a whopping success. +1 for my quest to become a model boyfriend?

3 comments:

FleurLapin said...

Hahahaha. There really is such a thing a Star Wars cookbook?? But the food looks really good!
The Wookiee cookies look so yummy! Omelette looks delicious as well.

sandlot said...

"Sandlot played around with the recipe by introducing blueberries into a select few of the cookies. Most people avoided those."


What? Ahem. Let's correct this FALLACIOUS statement.

There was you, me, my housemate and my housemate's boyfriend. Both you and I ate one. So that's at least half of the population that did eat one. Therefore, not "most people" avoided them. Only half.

Plus, they were good. Let's add strawberries next time.

Plus, I like it when you cook for me. Yum yum.

Joyce said...

Haha sadly, i know quite a number of people who would want that book.

Food looks good, though! :)