Friday, April 13, 2012

Remember this teen heartthrob?

So Mass Effect 3 pulls from some high grade Hollywood talent for its voice acting. Including Martin Sheen as the enigmatic Illusive Man, Seth Green (Buffy, Austin Powers) as sarcastic pilot Jeff "Joker" Moreau, Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck) as the seductive but calculating Miranda Lawson, and teen heartthrob Freddie Prinze Jr. (She's All That, 24) as... stocky, no-neck jarhead James Vega (Sorry, I don't see the resemblance).

It's hard to know exactly what Freddie Prinze's character is doing in Mass Effect 3 at all, though. Introduced out of nowhere for the third installment, he's not particularly useful, he's not romanceable (unlike just about every other human henchman in the game... including my shuttle pilot), and worst of all, he's not particularly likable.

In fact, just the other day, my Femshep went down to the shuttle bay to talk to him, and he decided that he would nickname her Lulu. Why? Because "some people just don't match their names" and his best friend when he was little had an older sister named Lulu - "She was hot... and tough."

See, James, this is why I don't take you on any missions...

Seriously, though, calling my male Shepard "Loco" because of all the crazy sh*t he's done, but calling my female Shepard "Lulu" because she reminds you of your childhood buddy's hot older sister? I think that's just a little bit sexist.

Also, I don't know why my Femshep feels like she has to hit on everything that moves. It's either pick the asshole dialogue option or have her gush out that she's, "Enjoying the show" i.e. Freddie Prinze Jr. working out.

Sure, male Shepards are open to flirting when the time is right too... but not like this! YOU JUST MET HIM! Sigh. This reminds me of how in the second game, every time Femshep talked to my black human henchman, Jacob, she opened with, "I just want to get to knoooow you a bit better" in this disgusting faux-seductive voice. Eventually, I just stopped visiting him. Down, girl!

Anyways, end rant. I promise my next post won't be about Mass Effect or gaming. Comments, please come back!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

please write about things related to medicine. anything else is boring to read.

a_ndy said...

Haha, I guess I'll have to dig deep for some entertaining stories...

Joyce said...

Gaming you could be writing about: Pokemon B/W. 8D

a_ndy said...

@Joyce: except I don't have a DS...